I am so excited to share my first blogger collaboration with you all – meet Caitlin of Tailored and True. I was immediately drawn to Caitlin’s sophisticated, effortless style when I came across her blog. I knew right away that she would be the perfect gal to show us how to dress up AND dress down the Chloe + Isabel necklace and earring set that I’m giving away this spring! [details on how to enter are at the bottom of this post]
Not only is she showing us her fabulous styling tips, but she also is letting me pick her brain. Let me tell you that this girl has got it down.
Introduce yourself & tell us why you created tailored and true
Hi everybody! My name is Caitlin and I write for the blog Tailored and True. I originally started blogging as an outlet for creative expression, hoping to challenge myself to express my personality every day through the outfits I put together. I spent all of college in jeans and t-shirt, and a few years down the line I wanted to make sure that I was thinking outside of past constraints I put on myself and my personal style. What started as a personal challenge and outlet quickly blossomed into a full blown hobby, and today I blog on Tailored and True for both the personal fulfillment I find as well as the wonderful community I get to interact with.
Staple pieces for someone just starting their professional career
My style “revolution”, if you will, began with a new work wardrobe for my first real job out of college. There are a few staple pieces I think every business-casual dresser should own (and in my opinion, since these pieces will be worn countless times and will be a part of the first impression you make to many in your career, it’s worth investing in high quality pieces):
- A great pencil skirt. Make sure it’s long and hits no more than 2 inches above your knees. If you need to, get it tailored so that it lies flat against your hips and fits your waist well.
- A white silk blouse. I still own the one I bought for interviews my junior year in college. Get something classic and timeless – you will wear it over and over again in all parts of your life. Also buy a nude color undershirt (or five) to wear with it.
- A black fitted blazer. You’ll wear it to work (offices are freezing and blazers are warm), out to brunch on the weekends, and everywhere in between. Make sure it’s fitted at the waist so you don’t look boxy and that the sleeves are long enough for your arms.
- Comfortable pumps. Preferably black or nude. Closed toe, leather, and comfortable for you to walk in.
Describe your style in a few words & list five pieces of clothing you are currently loving
I like to think of my personal style as classic with a modern twist. It’s sounds a little stuffy though, when I write that down, so I’m not sure if that’s exactly right. Either way, there are a few pieces I am currently obsessing over and can’t get enough of:
- Ripped boyfriend jeans – I just love the aesthetic and never want to take them off
- White skinny jeans – I just figured out how to size them correctly and am loving exploring this whole new world
- A silk bomber jacket – kind of random, I know, but makes for the perfect springtime layer
- Cheetah print flats – animal print just feels so right as an accessory
- Neon anything – neon tops, neon sweaters, neon jeans, you name it, I’ll be wearing it this spring
My favorite cocktail involves gin and St. Germaine, preferably with lemon. If I see that combo on a menu I am definitely ordering that drink.
Wise words you would tell a 5 years younger version of yourself
Whoof. I would probably tell myself to work hard in school, make time to have fun, and to try not to take myself too seriously. I might also tell myself to get the cute white t-strap Birkenstocks option rather than the beat-up suede brownish color with large gold buckles that, for some ungodly reason, ended up winning out. I would love to see you on Tailored and True! Come, stop by, drop a comment, and let’s get to know each other!
To read Caitlin’s complete review of the Chloe and Isabel jewelry and to see even more photos of her looks, head on over to Tailored and True.
This romantic, vintage inspired set is worth $126 and you can enter via the Rafflecopter form below. There are four ways to enter to increase your odds – and now that we’re friends on the blog, it only makes sense that we stay connected on pinterest and insta! The giveaway is open to US residents and ends May 10th 11:59pm. The winner will be announced May 11th – GOOD LUCK!!
Say hi in comments! What did you love most about Caitlin’s tips & how you would style this set?